Good morning everyone. It’s been a while since my last post. I’ve been taking my time with my current project. School is on the horizon, hopefully I can get more done this winter. I’ve been putting off sewing because every time I clean up my room and my sewing corner, it gets used for something else.
Today’s recipes brought to you by Better Homes & Garden
It’s been a while since I posted any recipes. I have a lot of recipe books so I want to share some of my favorites with you. My all time favorite go to appetizer is Bruschetta. Yum. Individually I am not a fan of the ingredients but once they are fused together you have a delightful treat.
Today I am going to share with you an entire meal. I hope you cook along with me!
Prep-Cooking time: Total 35 min makes approx 36 (Go ahead and half it!)
1 tbsp Oilve Oil
1 tbsp (fresh) chives
1 tbsp (fresh) basil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups chopped roma and/or yellow tomato
0.5 cup finely chopped red onion
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 8-oz baguette, french style; cut in 0.5 inch slices and toasted*
- In medium bowl, stir together olive oil, chives, basil, lemon juice, and garlic. Add tomato and onion, toss to coat; season to taste
- To serve, use slotted spoon to scoop mixture onto each slice of toast.
* I don’t toast the baguette before adding the mixture. I brush the baguette slices lightly with olive oil then add a thin slice of mozzarella cheese or a scoop of shredded mozza then I toast it all together.
Nutritional Info (per slice)
23 cal; 1 g fat (0 g saturated fat); 0 mg chol; 43 mg sodium; 4 g carb; 0 g fiber; 0 g pro
Daily Values: 91 % vit A; 2% vit C; 1 % cal; 1% iron
Main Course: Chicken Parmigiana and Risotto
Prep: 30 min / Cook 25 min / 4 servings.
0.33 (1/3) cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
0.5 tsp of salt
1/8 tsp salt
dash of pepper
0.25 cup fresh basil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
0.33 (1/3) cup bread crumbs
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
0.5 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp oilve oil
0.25 cup shredded mozza
1.For sauce: In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Carefully stir in undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered approx 10 min or to desired consistency*, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil, set aside; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, place each chicken half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using Flat side of meat mallet, pound chicken lightly to approx 0.25 inch. Remove Plastic.
3. In shallow dish, stir bread crumbs, parm cheese and oregano. In second dish, stir egg and milk together. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat.
4. In large skillet, cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden. Transfer chicken to serving platter.
5. Spoon sauce over chicken. Top with Mozzarella and remaining Parm. Let stand 2 min or till cheese melts.
*Creamy Tomato Sauce: After preparing sauce, add 3 tbsp whipping cream, half and half or light cream, stirring constantly/ Cook and stir for 3 minutes more, then add basil.
Nutritional Info: Per 3 oz chicken & 1/3 cup sauce
418 cal; 24g fat (9g sat); 152 mg chol; 715 g sodium; 15g carb; 1 g fibre; 34 g pro
Daily: 11% Vit A; 24% Vit C; 19% cal; 11% iron
Prep: 10 minutes/ cook: 15 min/Makes 4 servings
0.5 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 cup uncooked arborio rice* (I usually use Jasmine or Basmati, whatever is on hand)
2 14oz cans chicken broth
0.5 cup finely grated Parmesan or Asiago (or a mixture)
1/8 tsp black pepper
- In large saucepan, cook onion and garlic hot oil and 1 tbsp of butter until onion is tender. Add rice. Cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 min or until rice begins to brown
- In another sauce pan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer. Slowly add 1 cup broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another 0.5 cup to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until liquid absorbed. Add remaining broth, 0.5 cup at a time. Stir constantly until liquid is absorbed. (approx 15 min)
- Stir in remaining butter, Parm and pepper.
Nutritional Info per 3/4 cup:
290 cal; 16g fat (6g sat); 23 mg chol; 685mg sodium; 30g carb; 0 g fiber; 8 g protein
Daily: 5% vit A; 2% vit C; 13% calcium; 12% iron
Thank you for joining me today. I hope you enjoy this dinner as much as I do! Have a great Sunday!